John started on the Jefferson Fire Department in 1971 as a firefighter. In May of 1975 he became chief and served until his death on December 15, 2013. He started the first ambulance service at the fire station in 1975.
John was a member of the Ohio State Fire Chiefs Association during his term as chief.
John was township trustee for four years. He was employed with Koski Construction for 40 years and was a proud union member of Ohio Operating Engineers Local 18.
In 1986, the Village of Jefferson named him Citizen of the Year.
Upon his death, John gave the gift of sight through eye donation to the Cleveland Eye Bank.
John restored a 1932 Ford Prospect fire truck that now sits in Firehouse Subs on Route 20 in Mentor, Ohio.